Learning Extension & Enrichment
At Genesis, we believe that every child should be provided with opportunities to develop to their full potential. For students who are identified as requiring additional extension, over and above a differentiated approach in the classroom, there are a number of enrichment and extension opportunities, targeting a variety of learning domains. These include:
- exposure to special programs and competitions,
- a differentiated classroom teaching approach, and
- the provision of a Learning and Enrichment Program (LEEP), either as elective subjects in the Secondary School or special programs in the Primary School.
The identification of student ability and aptitude through a variety of diagnostic testing modes assists in the academic profiling of each student. Each academic profile is built upon the results of diagnostic tests, including NAPLAN and Edutest, academic reports, psychological assessments (if available), performance in external competitions, and teacher recommendations.
A dedicated Gifted & Talented team, together with classroom teachers, use these profiles to guide them in providing appropriately targeted and engaging academic support for identified students.
Extension and Enrichment on offer at Genesis (not inclusive):
- Cognition Ignition Thinking Skills Classes
- the NATA Young Scientist of the Year competition
- STEM related workshops
- ICAS competitions Years 2-6
- the Brisbane Writers Festival Years 4-6
- Maths Olympiad Years 5-6
- Maths Challenge for Young Australians Years 3 - 6
- Australian Mathematics Competition Years 3 - 4
- selected competitions such as Sleek Geeks – Science; Andy Griffiths Kids Writing Competition; Dorothea Mackellar Poetry Competition
- Robotics and Science Incursions Years 3-6
- First Lego League robotics Competition Years 5 -6
- Battle of the Brains Year 6
- the Future Problem Solving program