Learning Extension & Enrichment
At Genesis, we believe that every child should be provided with opportunities to develop to their full potential. For students who are identified as requiring additional extension, over and above a differentiated approach in the classroom, there are a number of enrichment and extension opportunities, targeting a variety of learning domains. These include:
- exposure to special programs and competitions,
- a differentiated classroom teaching approach, and
- the provision of a Learning and Enrichment Program (LEEP), either as elective subjects in the Secondary School or special programs in the Primary School.
The identification of student ability and aptitude through a variety of diagnostic testing modes assists in the academic profiling of each student. Each academic profile is built upon the results of diagnostic tests, including NAPLAN and Edutest, academic reports, psychological assessments (if available), performance in external competitions, and teacher recommendations.
A dedicated Gifted & Talented team, together with classroom teachers, use these profiles to guide them in providing appropriately targeted and engaging academic support for identified students.
Extension and Enrichment on offer at Genesis (not inclusive):
- Years 7-9 Learning Extension and Enrichment (LEEP) classes in English/ Philosophy and STEM
- Extension classes in senior schooling
- STEM related excursions/incursions and camps
- Senior and Junior (host) gifted and talented conferences
- the Brisbane Writer’s Festival
- ICAS competitions
- STEM competitions
- Write-a-Book-in-a-Day competition
- the National Geographic History and Geography competitions, the Dorothy Mackellar poetry competitions, the Readers Cup challenge; Maths Olympiads and competitions and others
- Tournament of the Minds
- The Australian Computational and Linguistics Olympiad - OzClo