Learning Extension & Enrichment
Developing Academic Talent: At Genesis, we believe that every child should be provided with the opportunities to develop to their full potential. Our aim is to extend and enrich students in one or more domains through:
- exposure to special programs and competitions,
- a differentiated classroom teaching approach, and
- the provision of a Learning Extension and Enrichment Program (LEEP), either as elective subjects in the Secondary School or special programs in the Primary School.
The identification of student ability and aptitude through a variety of diagnostic testing modes assists in the academic profiling of each student. Each academic profile is built upon the results of diagnostic tests, including NAPLAN and Edutest, academic reports, psychological assessments (if available), performance in external competitions, and teacher recommendations.
A dedicated Gifted and Talented Team, together with classroom teachers, use these profiles to guide them in providing appropriately targeted and engaging academic support for identified students.
Extension and Enrichment of offer at Genesis (not inclusve)
LEEP students will be involved in the following programs:
- Year 3: Mathematics Problem Solving, 5 lesson short extension courses or challenge activities each term
- Year 4: Mathematics Problem Solving, COGS thinking skills classes
- Year 5: Extension subject lessons with a focus on creative, analytical and philosophical thought, Future Problem Solving, Robotics
- Year 6: Extension subject lessons with a focus on creative, analytical and philosophical thought, Future Problem Solving, Robotics
As well as this, students will be invited to participate in a variety of competitions, workshops and excursions throughout the year.
- Years 7-9 Learning Extension and Enrichment (LEEP) classes in Philosophy and STEM
- Extension classes in senior
- Involvement in a number of STEM related excursions/incursions and camps
- Participation in senior and junior (host) gifted and talented conferences
- Attendance at the Brisbane Writer’s Festival
- ICAS competitions
- Participation in a variety of STEM competitions
- Involvement in Write-a-Book-in-a-Day competition
- Involvement in the National Geographic History and Geography competitions, the Dorothy Mackellar poetry competitions, and the Readers Cup challenge, and others
- Participation in Tournament of the Minds
- Participation in OzCLO (Australian Computational and Linguistics Olympiad)