Learning Extension & Enrichment
Developing Academic Talent
At Genesis, we believe that every child should be provided with the opportunities to develop to their full potential. For students who are identified as requiring additional extension, over and above a differentiated approach in the classroom, there are a number of enrichment and extension opportunities, targeting a variety of learning domains. Our aim is to extend and enrich students in one or more domains through:
- exposure to special programs and competitions,
- a differentiated classroom teaching approach, and
- the provision of a Learning Extension and Enrichment Program (LEEP), either as special programs in the Primary School or elective subjects in the Secondary School.
The identification of student ability and aptitude through a variety of diagnostic testing modes assists in the academic profiling of each student. Each academic profile is built upon the results of diagnostic tests, including NAPLAN and Edutest, academic reports, psychological assessments (if available), performance in external competitions, and teacher recommendations.
A dedicated Gifted and Talented Team, together with classroom teachers, use these profiles to guide them in providing appropriately targeted and engaging academic support for identified students.
Extension and Enrichment Opportunities (not inclusive)
LEEP students will be involved in the following programs:
- Year 3: Mathematics Problem Solving, 5 lesson short extension courses or challenge activities each term
- Year 4: Mathematics Problem Solving, COGS thinking skills classes
- Year 5: Extension subject lessons with a focus on creative, analytical and philosophical thought, Future Problem Solving, Robotics
- Year 6: Extension subject lessons with a focus on creative, analytical and philosophical thought, Future Problem Solving, Robotics
As well as this, students will be invited to participate in a variety of competitions, workshops and excursions throughout the year.
- Years 7-9 LEEP classes
- Extension classes in senior
- Involvement in a number of STEM related excursions/incursions and camps
- Participation in senior and junior (host) gifted and talented conferences
- Attendance at the Brisbane Writer’s Festival
- Participation in a variety of STEM competitions
- Involvement in Write-a-Book-in-a-Day competition
- Involvement in the National Geographic History and Geography competitions, the Dorothy Mackellar poetry competitions, and the Readers Cup challenge, and others
- Participation in OzCLO (Australian Computational and Linguistics Olympiad)
- Participation in the Ethics Olympiad